Join as many GroupMe chats as you can. I found my NBCUniversal internship through a random GroupMe. One day only 5 people showed up and I was interviewed the next day on campus. That was the year before the university had Handshake. Using your Howard email you are able to have access to internships, full-time positions and the career fairs being held on campus in and throughout out the DC area.
Should I pursue an internship after my first year of college?
Internships should be sought after no later than your Sophomore year of college.
How do I find internship opportunities?
Many companies list college internship opportunities on their ‘Career’ page of their company’s website. I highly recommend that you attend on campus career fairs in addition to using ‘Google’ to search online for internships in your major.
What should I bring to the career fair?
What you’ll need bring and know:
- Reference letters
- Cover sheet
- Your business card (Should provide your name, contact information, and college major)
- Obtain a business card from the company job recruiter
- Update your LinkedIn account
- Connect with the company job recruiter on LinkedIn
- Email the recruiter and express your interest in the internship opporunity
- Understand that an internship is a means to familiarize yourself with the company and the position that you are applying for, usually aligns with your college major
- Make every effort to seek employment with the company before you conclude your internship
- Take advantage of interviewing workshops in your course of study at Howard University